Confessions Of A New York City Doorman

Via Business Insider:

In the half hour we talked to Pablo he greeted at least 20 residents and five workmen coming and going  (in English and Spanish); made at least ten calls upstairs to announce visitors; helped someone who had the wrong address; answered a call about a package delivery; fielded a call about an intercom that wasn't working; joked with the super; politely informed a person who wanted to distribute menus under doors that that wasn't happening and answered questions about what that burning smell was this morning:  overdone toast.

Confessions Of A New York City Doorman - Business Insider

Points:

  • Advice for children and grandchildren: “I would prefer that they go to school and finish college. But if they don't, I would recommend it. It's a clean job. It's always lively, I'm never bored.”
  • Duties: “I am expected to open the door, announce people, take packages and if asked I will help someone get a taxi. I don't expect a tip for that. Some tenants ask me to move their car for them but I always say no. That's not my job and it's too risky.”
  • Best part of job: “The people. You get to know everyone in the building and they're all very good to me. I love children and now we have lots of them in the building. Some of the children who grew up here in my early years here have their own children now and come back to see me. I love that.”

Ponder: The theme that runs through this is community-building. He’s not there to open doors and do tasks. He has a higher purpose: to build community in that building.Think of that as you think about your career.