Is your pastor wondering about developing an academic/scholarly side to his ministry? Here are some points made in an interview about finding that path:
  • "I’ve always loved being very involved in the church and teaching in the academy. I’ve never really drawn a sharp line between the two."
  • "…pastoral ministry may be the best thing I ever did, because nothing has helped me as a professor in the classroom more than being a pastor in a church."
  • "If a student is seeking the Lord with all his heart and longing to please him, and he’s divided between pastoral ministry and an academic career, I would ask which desire is strongest. I trust God is leading and directing him, so which desire is stronger in his heart?"

There are other points in the interview that will help your pastor think about blending the professional and academic dimensions.

The most important statement for me was, "But the Lord also leads by circumstances." Some people might call this the door theory, God opens some doors and closes others. You might consider circumstances the call, and the ensuing journey the pursuit of your calling. I pondered this when I wrote my book, Your Unfinished Business: Find God in Your Circumstances, Serve Others in Theirs. God calls you in your circumstances and guides you toward your calling.

==============
Your calling is your unfinished business. Read Your Unfinished Business: Find God in Your Circumstances, Serve Others in Theirs to start pursuing your unfinished business.

Click one of the links below to buy the book in your favorite format: