Why I Stopped Hating Christian Music

Via Christianity Today: Why I Stopped Hating Christian Music | Third Culture | A Blog by Peter Chin.



Key statement: "I realized something that made me have a lot more respect and compassion for people who are in the Christian music industry: they are in a ridiculously impossible position."



Main points:



  • "Christian music must be theologically orthodox."
  • "Christian music must also minister to people."
  • "...[They] must then think about all of the other more general considerations of musicianship."
  • "Christian artists make music for some of the harshest critics in the world."
The constraints to making Christian music create opportunities for greater creativity. It reminds me of Robert Frost's statement that writing free verse is like playing tennis without a net. The constraints of rhyme and meter, for a poet, aren't restraints. They're a forge for creativity. The same could hold true for the constraints Christian musicians face.